There’s been a lot of talk about keeping your immune system strong to protect your body against disease and infection. There are several supplements you can take, but the best way to get the vitamins and nutrients your body’s immune system craves is through your diet! Poor nutrition and overall health can compromise your body’s ability to identify and fight off bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. Typically, harmless ailments such as allergies, headaches and the common cold can be aggravated when our immune system is not up to par, along with an increased risk when more serious conditions arise.
Incorporating a variety of immune boosting foods into your diet is a great way to make sure you are protected and your immune system can fight off infections. Fruits and vegetables are always a great choice as they provide antioxidants and essential nutrients to support the immune system as well as other functions including respiration, digestion and metabolism. Below are a few other foods that you can easily add to your daily routine to help boost your immune system.
- Garlic – provides antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Ginger – a rich source of potassium, iron, copper, niacin, vitamin C, phosphorus, magnesium and manganese with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory bioactive components
- Blueberries – powerful antioxidant that prevents cellular damage caused by free radicals
- Citrus Fruits – stimulate white blood cell production with vitamin C and antioxidants
- Spinach – high in iron to support a strong and healthy immune system
- Turmeric – well known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help boost immune responses
- Almonds – promote healthy skin and protect against chronic diseases caused by free radicals
- Sunflower Seeds – powerful antioxidant and may lower your risk of coronary heart disease
- Dark Chocolate – another great source for antioxidants supporting cardiovascular health
It’s important to keep your immune system strong as it is the body’s first line of defense against infection. It is also important to keep your overall health in check by eating a balanced diet, exercise, keep stress to a minimum and get plenty of sleep!
If you have any questions about proper nutrition or supplements for a strong immune system or overall health, give us a call at 832-789-4989 or visit us at www.edgeweightloss.com.